MahApps.Metro is a project that Paul Jenkins started back in 2011 as a simple way to bring a Metro-style user interface into your WPF application. Since then it’s evolved and taken contributions (at last count there were 600+ forks) from various people in the community.
This has been a project for the community, by the community - none of us are paid to do this, and we do it out of our love of code.
So if you love this project and want it to get better, get involved!
Metro isn’t for everything
Microsoft have demonstrated both sides of metro - it can look absolutely stunning if it is done well, or absolutely woeful if done poorly. Not every application translates well into a metro interface. If you’re designing a complex tool such as Visual Studio, it’s probably best to avoid a heavy-typography based UI style.
Of course, there will always be exceptions to the rule, but just because metro looks simplistic does not mean the design isn’t complex. The more complex an application, the more time (generally) you’ll need to spend on the design.
No UI kit does design for you
While MahApps.Metro strives to make good looking metro interfaces easier, but just like with Windows Form or “default” WPF, a designer (or at least thinking about design) is needed to create a good interface. This is a combination of aesthetic and usability.
Segoe UI, Segoe WP and Zegoe UI are all Microsoft/Ascender fonts. They will not be embedded in MahApps.Metro.
In order to maintain compatibility for both .NET 4.0 and 4.5, we make use of the Microsoft.Windows.Shell in the former.
Other cool stuff
If you’re looking for a control that we don’t have, we have some friends who have made MA.M compatible controls. Check them out:
- MaterialDesignInXamlToolkit Google Material Design in XAML & WPF, for C# & VB.Net materialdesigninxaml.net
- MahApps.Metro.SimpleChildWindow A simple child window for MahApps.Metro
- Loading indicators by @zeluisping
- Dragablz Tearable tab control for WPF, which includes docking, tool windows and MDI. dragablz.net
- Azuser by @Inzanit Azure SQL Server User Management
- Carnac by @Code52 the Magnificent Keyboard Utility
- Chocolatey GUI Chocolatey GUI is a user interface for Chocolatey (a Machine Package Manager for Windows)
- CodeTrack by Nico Van Goethem CodeTrack is a versatile profiler with some extra tricks up its sleeve.
- Espera by @flagbug
- FolderSecurityViewer Easy to use NTFS permissions reporter to get all effective security owners of your data
- Hearthstone-Deck-Tracker by @Epix37 HDT is an automatic deck tracker and manager for Hearthstone
- Markdown Edit by @mike-ward A full-featured Markdown editor for Windows with an emphasis on content and keyboard shortcuts
- Markdown Monster by @RickStrahl An extensible Markdown Editor, Viewer and Weblog Publisher for Windows
- MarkPad by @Code52 a visual Markdown editor
- Modern UI for WPF (MUI) Inspired by MahApps.Metro
- myEcho iOS Dictation for Windows
- NETworkManager by @BornToBeRoot A powerful tool for managing networks and troubleshoot network problems!
- Papercut by @Jaben Simple Desktop SMTP Server / Email Receiver
- SimpleMP by @punker76 Simple Music Player - SimpleMP - Keeps it simple and plays your music
- Solutionizer by @thoemmi Creating ad-hoc solutions for Visual Studio
- Xamarin Inspector Visualize and debug your live app
- Xamarin Workbooks Workbooks is an interactive programming environment that’s perfect for experimentation, learning, and documentation: an educational tool for learning the myriad of .NET platforms, APIs, and libraries. Source